Friday 23 November 2012

Origami for Christmas?

 
 
 

If you haven't tried your hand at origami, what better time to start experimenting than Christmas! I love this time of year, something about it is so dreamy & magical. I especially love our Christmas tree, & the decorations we get to hang around our home. This year, I thought I'd try my hand at some homemade decorations, & turned to the traditional Japanese art of paper folding, aka Origami, for inspiration. Well, let's just say it wasn't as easy as first anticipated & I'm glad this wasn't a Bubs in Tow exercise (Ebony was tucked up in bed, sound asleep for this activity!). I don't generally have the diligence when it comes to 'attention to detail crafts' to begin with, (quite rich coming from a Visual Merchandiser?) So after four attempts, or more... I decided it was time to recruit my husband in folding an Origami crane... He is most definitely the Yin to my Yang or am I the Yin to his Yang? Either way he highlighted the fold where I was going wrong & from there, there was no stopping. I folded crane after crane!

All you need is some origami paper (I was given a book of luxury paper & cut the pages into squares to use), a little lot of patience & good step by step instructions.

 
 
 
Scott & I found the website Origami Way particularly helpful! Also check out this great idea from kids craft weekly to turn your beautiful origami pieces into elegant origami hangings' for Christmas!

I have decided this is one decoration that I am going to keep up all year long! Partly because they are so pretty & partly because they were so fiddly!

 Enjoy & happy folding!

No comments:

Post a Comment